IELTS - International English Launguage Testing System
IELTS contains of Four Modules in Total :
1. Listening :
Listening Test is divided into 4 sections. It has 40 items in total . Students get a question booklet on which Questions are printed . The tape is then played and students write answers simultaneously while the tape is going on.
* Students get time to look at the questions before the listening starts and check their work at the end of each section ....
|Sections||No. of Speakers||No.of Items (Questions)|
|Section 1||2 (Two)||10|
|Section 2||1 (One)||10|
|Section 3||2-4 (Two-Four)||10|
|Section 4||1 (One)||10|
2. Reading :
Two Formats ACADEMIC and GENERAL TRAINING :
60 Minutes and no extra time : 40 items
ACADEMIC READING :
|Reading Passages||No.of Items (Questions)|
|Reading Passage 1||13-14|
|Reading Passage 2||13-14|
|Reading Passage 3||13-14|
3. Writing :
Two Formats ACADEMIC & GENERAL TRAINING :
60 Minutes and no extra time . Two tasks in writing ..
Minimum 150 words are required for Task 1 and 250 words are required for Task 2 .
ACADEMIC WRITING :
Task 1 - a Bar chart , Pie Chart , Line Graph , Table ,Flow Chart or a process or a combination of more than one chart containing figures and details .
Task 2 - an Essay topic is a specific topic about specific research areas i.e , environment , pollution , study , science and research etc..
GENERAL TRAINING :
Task 1 - a short letter - formal , informal & semiformal style.
Task 2 - an essay topic about day-to-day life .i.e, society, children , family, education , lifestyle , etc ..
4. Speaking :
* Organised on a other day than the day of main exam .
* 11-14 minutes of time .
* Three parts .
* 4-5 minutes .
* Introduction and Interview.
* Examiner first introduces himself/herself and asks questions about familiar topics to the candidates.
* 3-4 minutes.
* Individual long term .
* Candidate gets a Cue card with a topic on which he/she has to speak for 1-2 minutes and he/she gets one-minute time to prepare for the topic below he /she starts to speak. Examiner also asks one or two follow-up questions when the candidate stops speaking .
* 4-5 minutes
* Extended discourse
* Examiner asks questions that are thematically linked to the topic in part 2 and the questions are more of abstract nature.